databases [was: Re: Ruby Active Record]

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 21:25:08 EDT 2006

I had a big project two years ago that was going to rely on MySQL. I had our
attorneys review their licensing agreements and then talk to MySQL AB's
legal eagles. $5,000 in lawyer fees later, nobody could answer my question
about licensing. The application is now happily running on PostgreSQL.

I use MySQL for my own apps on my Dreamhost-hosted sites because Dreamhost
has dealt with the licensing issue and they're all personal use anyway. For
everything else, I'm more comfortable with PostgreSQL. Yes, I know all the
arguments about why MySQL is better. I don't care. I choose not to use
software from a company that can't write a clear license and can't answer
what I think are clear questions about their restrictions.