[OT] Cringely on BootCamp's future

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Wed Apr 19 14:50:13 EDT 2006

Mark Smith wrote:

 >Why on earth is a mac mini three times as expensive in Brazil as in
the US? Is it Apple, local distributors  or some kind of tax? Surely,
if not a tax (in which case, it's not a question of business logic),
there's some kind of opportunity for someone there.

In all fairness, I should tell you that I last checked the prices when
the Mac Mini was first launched. I have just had a look at the current
prices.

Just about the cheapest place you can buy a computer over the Internet
is the "Mercado Livre". Apple Brasil themselves are offering the
following Mac Mini there:

"Novo Mac mini 1.66GHz intel core duo/512mb/80HD/ Superdrive"

The price is R$ 2799.98, which at today's echange rate (0.471698 USD in
1 Real, or 2.12 Reais in 1 Dollar ) works out at about $1320.

I should also tell you that Apple Brasil are also announcing other price
reductions at the moment.

Greater elucidation, I cannot give you.

Regards,
Bob Warren