keyDown message weirdness

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Apr 18 23:40:20 EDT 2006

Devin Asay wrote:

 > It's not the font choice that triggers the bug, but the input method.
 > You would need to activate the input menu from the International  system
 > pref pane. Activate, eg., Cyrillic or Greek, then click in  your rev
 > field and choose one of these languages from the flag menu.  Then watch
 > the message watcher to see if the keydown messages  disappear. I'm
 > getting this consistently on 2.6.1 through 2.7.x on  both a Powermac G4
 > and G5 running 10.4.6.

I see. Okay, so I activated the international menu and activated Greek.
Dragged a new field onto a test stack. Showed the message watcher.
Choose Greek from the system menu.

If I typed regular characters I got all four messages. If I typed, say,
Option-P (to get a pi) I got an optionkeydown message and then two "up"
messages (rawkeyup, keyup).

Then I switched back to the US menu input via the system menu, and typed
Option-P and still got an optionKeyDown and two "up" messages. Typing
normal characters gave me all four messages.

So maybe it's the option key that blocks the messages? Seems to be the
same no matter which menu input I choose. Maybe its an OS thing. I know
that Rev just grabs whatever keyboard messages the OS sends, so it may
be that the Mac OS isn't sending those.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com