OT: backups

SimPLsol at aol.com SimPLsol at aol.com
Mon Apr 17 11:57:01 EDT 2006

Mark,
For my personal computer, running OS X, I use SuperDuper, backing up to a
Firewire HD. SuperDuper erases the backup drive and copies everything from the
source drive - takes about 1 hour - and the Firewire HD is then a bootable HD.
Incremental updates take about 5 - 7 minutes. SuperDuper bypasses all the usual
permission problems you run into using OS X with most other backup options. I
like the smaller, 2.5 inch, drives because they don't require external power;
I can take it out of the safe, plug in the Firewire cord, make a quick
backup, disconnect one cord, and put it back in the safe - real easy. Of course the
3.5 inch drives are faster and sometimes the speed is more important than the
convenience.
For network computers, I create a shared folder called "The Shared Folder" on
the server. Each user is given a folder in this with their name. All company
data is stored in this folder (some folders are password protected). This
folder is backed up each evening (usually to a Firewire HD, but some smaller
companies can backup everything to a flash drive). I find backing up from the
server is about twice as fast as backing up server data over the network from a
client.
Note: The Shared Folder should contain data only, no applications. Running
apps over the network is much slower than running them locally. One of the
downsides of this shared folder approach is the tendency of users to put apps.,
personal pictures, & personal data into the folder - which makes for longer
backups. Still, probably always better to be backing up too much rather than too
little.
Paul Looney