Weird and Horrible Problem??!!

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Apr 13 11:53:56 EDT 2006

Hi All,

I have some code that does this:

put "KindStart" into myKind

Then, later on it does this:

switch myKind

case "KindStart"
break
end switch

The problem is that it never hits the case "KindStart" statement. I
put a breakpoint in the Script that does the switch and the variable
is set to "KindStart", but it doesn't hit the case statement.

Perplexed and after a lot of mucking around, I did this:

put "DATA1" into gArray[myKind]

When I set the variable.

and

put gArray[theKind]  into myData

When I switch. However, the above sets myData to empty (although
looking at the array in the debugger, there *IS* an entry for
"KindStart" and it's "DATA1" as expected

I then do:

put "DATA2" into gArray[myKind]

And when I look at the Array, there are now *TWO* entries that read
"KindStart","DATA1" and "KindStart","DATA2"!!!!!!

How can an array have *two* identical entries??? My guess is that
they are not identical and that I just can't see the difference using
the debugger?? Maybe some non-displayable data got in there some how?
The Kind could be stored in a Custom Property is that makes any
difference.

Any Tips on how to track down what is going wrong here would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot
All the Best
Dave