Installerless installation on OSX?

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Thu Apr 13 11:11:52 EDT 2006

I want to distribute a structurally simple RR-developed application
to Mac OSX users (it's the standalone itself and a couple of sample
folders). In testing, all I've done is to copy the app (which we all
know is really a folder) to somewhere convenient on the user's hard
disk. The user then double-clicks and that's it. Is there anything
wrong with this strategy? Why do people have installers and .dmg
files if so? I sense that one reason might be that the machine
potentially has many users, all but one of whom won't have
administrator privileges - as I'm not in this situation myself, I
don't really know.

I want the simplest possible strategy for distribution. Any advice
will be gratefully received, as ever.

Graham