List Moderation, recent threads and New Forum

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Mon Apr 10 12:42:20 EDT 2006

Heather Nagey wrote:

If you want to talk about things that do not relate to coding in
Revolution, if you are going to self detonate if you don't get it out,
if those fingers just won't stay off the keyboard, we have a great,
shiny, beautiful new solution, just for you. Use the forum!

http://forums.runrev.com

Select the appropriate, off topic subforum, and post it there.
.
.
.
Please don't respond to this post on the list. Respond to me,
heather at runrev.com, if you have something you need to say.

Heather:

I may well be breaking the new rules by asking this question publicly,
rather than privately, I don't know. On the other hand, it's a technical
question. I could have changed the title of the thread to "get around"
the problem, but I think that might be childish.

The first part of my question concerns the use of Buzilla. I refuse to
use it in its present form essentially because of the voting system. I
have a bug in Linux, which at the moment is nothing but an emerging OS,
not of immediate interest to the vast majority of people on this list
(my potential voters). How am I supposed to draw attention to a serious
bug in Rev Linux and get something done about it in a timely fashion?

For example, I recently completed a pair of file/picture chooser widgets
for Linux, which I offered to the Rev community. However, from the
beginning of my programming effort I discovered that certain fundamental
functions described in the Help had apparently not been implemented. For
example, the function specialFolderPath. I did not manage to get any
information whatsoever out of this function, different to my experience
in Windows and different (I imagine) to what it would be in Mac. As a
result I had to (temporarily?) direct my widgets for use in Ubuntu Linux
rather than Linux generally - very serious. At the end of my programming
effort (i.e. after all the work had been done) I suddenly discovered
another aspect of Rev for Linux that was totally unexpected. When
standalones (the form of my widgets) are closed, they clear the
clipboard! This is totally non-standard, at least in comparison to Rev
for Windows, and certainly in comparison to all common-sense norms.

Frantically, I wrote an e-mail directly to the Chief Technical Officer
(Mark Waddingham), which was met by stony silence rather than some kind
of reply such as "Please send your problem by the correct path" (i.e.
technical support, Heather, or whoever) or "Please Bugzilla it, and
we'll look into it as soon as we can" or "Thanks for your message, I've
passed it on to ..." or "You are only a Studio User so you are not
entitled to immediate support" or even "*&%%#@@ you!"

Note that just about all the "trouble" on the List recently has had IDE
bugs at its origin. Rather than paying attention to the fixing of the
bugs, Rev appears now to be dividing and conquering us on the ground
that our discussion of them sometimes expresses too much frustration.

Are my concerns "ON topic" or "OFF topic"? Is such a distinction really
viable?

Best regards,
Bob Warren