End all Negative Threads Now

jeffrey reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Sun Apr 9 14:33:12 EDT 2006

Lynn,

I am sending you this off list to try and clear some things up first
and directly with you, that being said...

Is this for real? Sorry i find this much more troubling than any of
the discussions going on. I spent some time reviewing the posts of
the last week or so and while there were a few little fires, nothing
seemed very bad and most were dying out on their own. One thing that
did strike me is that many of your replies to some of the list folks
like richard were a bit on the flippant side. While you may have a
great personal relationship with him that you can talk that way, as a
list moderator and the most visible representative of rev now on the
list, its just not very professional and i think may strike some the
wrong way (example: hey kids) and just feed or start the fires you
are trying to avoid/stop. you as a moderator and rev representative
need to be very calm, clear and level headed in your comments. while
the list is generally fun and folks jibe a lot (and that is great)
the sad fact is a moderator and company rep just cant do that IMHO.

This list has been very stable and as lists go pretty civil. yes once
and a while there are little firestorms, but all and all its very
self moderating (except for a few of the comments that were posted
that went into illegal areas of software piracy, etc). the fires seem
to put themselves out after a few days and bad feelings seem to fade
quickly. Negative things about rev almost always end up generating
more good comments on rev and focusing of problem areas that need
work (nothings perfect and software is even harder to move toward
perfection than other things).

I get very worried when a rev representative steps in with heavy
handed threats. I hope this is not how the new forums will be
moderated. while forums are great for the very general stuff, for the
professional developer they are much harder to try and keep up with.
the rev list has been great and continues to work well for many of
us. Most of the folks active in it have been using the product since
mc days. Compartmentalizing things into pigeon hole forums will be of
no use to me and by the comments of many on the list neither for them.

I may get banned for creating a negative thread here, but I feel like
i need to comment on this style of moderation. Moderation is a very
hard and tricky position that requires a lot more than issuing
blanket statements like this, it will kill a great community we have
here, that like all communities and families, have some squabbles
time to time, but its best to air them out and let them go. Just
stopping them with threats like this does not make for a happy and
productive community. If you have a problem child or two on an issue
its best handled off list with some counseling before expelling them
from the family. If you want to do hands on moderation then
generalized (with attempts at being cute) will not work. The issue
has erupted because a few folks are really hot under the collar. cute
general comments to the list about the tread just throws gasoline on
these folks. It really requires some off list emails that are frank
and understanding to defuse the situation, not just cause it to
explode or try to just shut it off totally. the pressure will only
build and erupt more violently later.

Is the Rev list now to become a totally corporate forum where only
'how do i...' questions are posted and no frank discussions are
allowed? If so that will totally kill what i have liked about the
list for years. this group is usually the folks that push the
envelope some and find the odd permutation that causes some oddities
to come up so discussions of bugs and such do come up and i think are
very useful to the rev staff, the list members, and the rev community
in general. I worry this will really destroy a community that has,
frankly, probably kept mc and rev afloat since the beginning with
their use, dedication, and evangelizing of the products.

cheers,

jeff reynolds

On Apr 9, 2006, at 11:27 AM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com