Can I read a disk's raw data, like in a hex editor?

Karl Becker karl at karlbecker.com
Sat Apr 8 14:31:04 EDT 2006

We are using a small PIC processor (a cheap, inexpensive device for
embedded systems work) to talk directly with the MMC card.  We are
communicating directly via a serial port to the MMC card, and the
data is being written directly to the card in a strange method that
only shows up in a hex editor.

We are not actually specifying a file on the formatted card with the
PIC processor, but rather we are using the PIC processor to tell the
MMC which sector we want to write 512 bytes of data.  It is very low
level and rough, but we seem to be writing some data to the card -
and I want to access it in Revolution instead of using somebody
else's hex editor software.

How does the operating system access the direct bits off a card?  And
how could Revolution do it?  Hopefully this email clarifies my
problem some, please ask if you want more clarification.

- Karl