Linux Engine Licensing - Please Read

Lynn Fredricks lynn at paradigmasoft.com
Sat Apr 8 10:31:51 EDT 2006

 > A lot of us MC users did.  I had occasion to mention this
> very specifically to Lynn recently, more than once.  Not sure
> why he said he wasn't familiar with it; maybe he just suffers
> from what Dan and I can call Rev List Subscriber Memory Disorder. ;)

The substance of our discussion had to do with what's coming, not the
location of a document.

> Most of the engine changes since the older version at
> <ftp.metacard.com> have been for native appearances and other
> goodies that have no effect when running in faceless mode.
> Also, MetaCard Corp. supported far more platforms than
> RunRev, so if your server runs Solaris, BSD, or one of the
> other flavors Rev is no longer compiled for you can still
> enjoy Transcript on your server with the old tried-and-true engine.

Not completely forgotten - they have a sub-forum:
http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=21

> The irony of all this is that it's been sitting there
> virtually untapped for years, and only when someone breathes
> new life into the ultra-niche-and-once-nearly-forgotten Ruby
> with the new-agey "Rails" do we finally take a fresh look at
> the legacy Raney left for us so long ago in our own native tongue.
>
> I've been using Transcript as my language-of-choice on my
> servers since before RunRev Ltd. was born.  It's nice that
> the world is finally changing so I no longer feel the need to
> apologize for that choice (remember the '90s when people
> wrote web apps in C? Ewwww).

Now Rich, you arent the sort who gets enraged when he sees Grateful Dead
stickers on SUVs, right?:-)

This is something that's been on my mind for quite some time. I don't know
who was there first but, there was also the abortive FlameThrower for
SuperCard.

And of course its also on the minds of folks at runtime, very much so -
there is a forum set up specifically for this topic here:
http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11

Since RevConWest 2006 is coming up, it might be a good topic for discussion
as well there.

> PS: What is "eurotalk"?  It's been added to the public
> directory at <ftp://runrev.com/pub/> but it's too big to
> download conveniently.  Did I miss a press release?

See what happens grandpa, when yur jaw'in on the porch, playing checkers and
reminicin'? Eurotalk is a European partner of Runtime's for TTT sales - its
irrelevant for purposes RR.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
Worldwide Business Operations