Had Revolution for over a year and I still can't run a stack file

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Apr 8 09:53:35 EDT 2006

Len Morgan wrote:

> I have had Rev for over a year now (Studio version) and I STILL cannot
> run a stack file (by double clicking on it OR using "Open With...")
> and have a cursor show up.  As soon as the pointer enters anywhere in
> the stack window, it disappears.  I't's still there because if I
> carefully move it, I can press buttons and enter text and such but I
> just can't see the cursor.

It's a bug, in the Win version (BZ 2138 which I entered in September
2004). Unfortunately, that BZ was against Dreamcard Player - and was
therefore entered as an enhancement request. I think (according to the
comments added by Mark W.) that it has not been dealt with because of
possible conflict it would cause in the Mac OS9 version. If so, that's
an astonishingly poor prioritization between OS9 and Windows.

Around that time (September through December 2004) I had pretty much
concluded that anything I did in Bugzilla was a waste of time, so I
didn't bother pushing this problem. I now know that, in general,
Bugzilla entries will eventually be looked at - but I've not had any
reason to focus on this one and go back and push it. If it's a major
hassle for you (see below), then you should add your experience /
feelings as an additional comment to BZ 2138, and change the
status/priority to represent the impact it is having on you.

> Surely not everyone has this problem because it tends to make the
> product useless.  I asked this question over a year ago and never got
> the problem fixed.  I'm running 2.7.1 on WinXP (and I've tried every
> version from 2.5 on and DreamCard) always with the same result.  I'd
> really like to use this product but it you can only see a cursor when
> you have the IDE running, it would be pointless to develop anything
> for a customer.

If you are developing for a customer, I believe you should build and
distribute standalones - and this problem does not happen in a
standalone. (I guess I should say - I always see this problem when
double-clicking a stack file, and have never seen it in a standalone :-)

It would be nice if you could distribute stacks and an adequate Player -
but Dreamcard Player was never, IMO, adequate. I haven't tried Ken's
Stackrunner because by the time that appeared, I was in the habit of
building standalones, and decided to stick with that.