weird standalone save behavior

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Apr 4 17:40:26 EDT 2006

Richard Lague wrote:

 > The save fails in the folder where I keep all my Revolution stacks.  It
 > also fails if I launch Revolution by double clicking on Revolution  in
 > the top level Application folder and then try to create a  standalone in
 > a sub-folder within the Applications folder.

That sounds right if you are currently running under a non-admin
account; only administrators can work with the Applications folder, and
Revolution may not be "owned" by an admin account on your machine. In
general, always create standalones somewhere inside your user folder.

 > Usually,  my standalones
 > will save if I either create them on the DeskTop or  drag them to the
 > DeskTop. I have a few old stacks that will make  standalones that will
 > save data in my regular Revolution folder, but  when dragged to the
 > DeskTop stop saving data.

It does sort of sound like an ownership problem. When the app is
created, it is "owned" by the user who created it. That user can write
to the app bundle but others can't. If you change user accounts, it may
not save any more because the current user isn't the "owner". If your
old stacks happen to be owned by another user account, they won't save
into your current user folder. Check the standalone's Get Info box and
see who owns it.

If this is the problem, you can usually get around it by assigning full
permissions to the "group" and "other" categories, but this can be a
security issue in some cases.

A better idea is to separate your data from your standalone, and save
the data stack to a permitted location such as the /library/Application
Support folder.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com