weird standalone save behavior

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Apr 3 02:24:20 EDT 2006

Richard Lague wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2006, at 12:00 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> Richard Lague wrote:
>>> In an effort to figure out what is going on I have been using the
>>> following script for saving:
>>> ON mouseUp
>>>      save this stack
>>>      IF the result is not empty THEN
>>>          put the result into resultVar
>>>          answer resultVar
>>>      ELSE
>>>          answer "save confirmed"
>>>      END IF
>>> END mouseUp
>>> When I can not save data I always get the same result: “Can’t
>>> open  stack file”.
>>
>> Are you sure that in the context it's being called "this stack"
>> refers to the stack you want and not the standalone?
>
> The script is in a button on the sub-stack. I have been testing this
> with a very simple standalone -- a one-card main stack/application
> that has one sub-stack. The sub-stack is also only one card that has
> a "save" button and a text field.

On Windows and UNIX systems, the executable file cannot modify itself.
The Rev engine enforces this on Mac OS for consistency.

If I read your description correctly the substack is part of the
executable stackfile.

If you break that substack out into its own stackfile you will be able
to save it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal