so long

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 00:35:02 EDT 2006

The departure of a developer of Sean Shao's stature should raise some alarms
in Edinburgh. Like Sarah and many others, I've basically simply ignored OS 9
for the past year or so; any clients still using it are on their own. But I
can understand the need in some markets -- presumably especially education
-- for OS 9 to continue to be supported. If the database stuff truly doesn't
work on OS 9 -- and fails clear back to Rev 2.0 -- then I can appreciate the
decision Sean had to make.

I agree Sean's contributions will be sorely missed.

OTOH, I think it's important for people with less history with the product
than some of us who are now commenting in this thread not to get the
impression that one even serious departure from the fold bodes ill for the
product in general. I can say that Rev 2.6.1 is as solid and stable a
development platform as I've worked on, even with the warts it does have,
and that nothiing else even comes close to letitng me create cross-platform
applications that just flat work, database and all, on every platform I
target.