Unix scripting help

Chris Sheffield revlist at cableone.net
Thu Sep 29 12:14:55 EDT 2005

I can't get this to go through for some reason.  So here it is again.

I hope I'm not totally off topic here.

I've got an installer in Rev that has to start a process under OS X
using the shell function.  I'm able to get the process to start just
fine using a command line script.  But the problem I'm having is this
particular process does not return any value when started, and the
shell command is not exiting because of this (at least that's what I
assume is happening).  So my script just kind of hangs at that
point.  The process I'm starting is the Valentina database server.

So what I'm looking for is a way to run my script, which starts the
process, but include in my script something that says, "Okay, I'm
finished now", and will allow my handler to go on at that point.
This is the current script I'm running with the shell function:

#!/bin/sh
pw=[PasswordHere]  -- this is obtained earlier with an authentication
dialog
echo $pw | sudo -S /Library/RNSEServer/RNSEServer &
exit

Now, if I run these lines one at a time from a Terminal window
everything works great.  But if I run the script all at once, whether
from Revolution or from a Unix script file, it hangs, almost as if
the exit command isn't executing.  So is there something I can use in
place of 'exit' that will cause my script to finish?  Or is there
same way to cause the shell function not to wait like it does by
default?  I was previously using "open process" instead of shell, and
that worked except that it would launch the process as the user who
was logged into the computer rather than as the root user, and I need
it to run as root.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris