data-design question

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sun Sep 25 21:11:01 EDT 2005

Charles Hartman wrote:

> Two questions as I snatch a moment to think about this project:
>
> On Sep 24, 2005, at 9:23 PM, Alex Tweedly wrote:
>

>> Rev front end, talking over a TCP socket to a Python back end.
>> Python (plus pysqlite2) for the back end.
>

> I'm out of my depth here (happens fast), but you mention pysqlite,
> and SQLite isn't one of the options mentioned in the Rev docs for
> database-handling functions (revOpenDatabase for example). Does that
> not matter, in your suggestion, because it's the Python  back-end
> that would be talking to the database, and the Rev front-end would
> talk only to the Python back-end, using TCP? Have I got the picture?

That's right.

Rev front-end   ------ TCP (perhaps HTTP) ------- Python "back-end"
--- pysqlite2 --- sqlite --- database

While I'm intrigued by David's suggestion of making that link be a
RESTful web service, that's just one too many major technology component
to learn about simultaneously :-)

Having had a few hours to think about it, it might be just as easy to
run your own MySQL (or postgreSQL) server on your personal machine, and
then use REV + Trevor's libDatabase + revDB + ??SQL

This lets you do it wholly within Rev - and if it's just for your
personal use, then running on MySQL or postgreSQL shouldn't be a big
hurdle - no licensing issues, no difficult install docs to write, etc.

I'm going to look into this option a bit before thinking any further
about the Python approach.

>> freedb.org has some data that would be a basic start for data entry
>> - doesn't have anything like the complete data you want, but it
>> would be a start if you could get track names from there - you'd
>> still need to add the author and individual player info.
>

> Thanks for the tip. But it doesn't look that useful for my purposes.
> I'm especially interested in sidemen (which no public database of
> recordings I know of is interested in), and I'm interested in a lot
> of stuff I'm transferring from LP much of which has never had a CD
> release, or in different enough form to make it hard to locate in a
> CD database.
>
> My central goal -- it wouldn't be everybody's, obviously -- is to be
> able to ask, for example: what recordings do I have where Jim Hall
> solos on "I Fall in Love Too Easily"? (Of course I'd love to be able
> to ask, what recordings exist where Jim Hall solos on "I Fall in Love
> Too Easily" -- but this is a different order of magnitude.)

It would be interesting to have a future version where the data could be
collected as a collaborative effort (like CDDB/freedb were); although
the number of people who want this data may be relatively small, I
wouldn't be surprised if a good portion of them were sufficiently
enthusiasts that you could get some benefit from making it
available..... something to think about after the basic version is
working well.