Sound formats

Thomas McCarthy tominjapan at excite.com
Sat Sep 24 18:11:28 EDT 2005

This thread got off a little, I think. The original question was can you play Mp3 sounds in your Rev stack.
The answer is 'Yes'--use a player object and set it's file name property your Mp3 file.
It doesn't require QuickTime. Windows computers will use their own technology. I have played Mp3 files with player objects on Win98 boxes without QuickTime even in the same building. No problem.

The screetching noise you heard is a problem with AudioClip objects. They don't do compression well.

You can also record Mp3 on both platforms. You first record in wave format (easy to do-quicktime on mac and mcisendstring on windows) then you use a shell script to compress it. There is a short delay, but usually not more than a second.

cheers,
tm