use-revolution Digest, Vol 24, Issue 59

Jeffrey Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Sun Sep 25 14:01:24 EDT 2005

Jacqueline,

if its just voice narration 11K 8bit might be ok. if you narration has
any music underscore its tough to go below 22k with underscore,
especially with 8bit sampling, you will really notice the sound quality
of the voice narration go way down. you might try some tests with your
files and see how they sound.

for the kids books we do the narration files at 22k 16bit uncompressed
wav files. since we have plenty of room on the CD-ROM its worth the
extra sampling. going from 22 to 44k you notice hardly any change in
voice only narration, but going from 8bit to 16bit makes many narration
voices sound a bit crisper and less cracklie, so we determined it was
worth doubling the file size by increasing the sample size rather than
the rate. now that we are using quicktime we could compress them with
mp3 and save a lot of room, but not sure if it is worth the trouble.

cheers,

Jeffrey Reynolds

On Sep 25, 2005, at 1:00 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com