Sound formats

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sun Sep 25 12:48:51 EDT 2005

Recently, J. Landman Gay  wrote:

>> Will 11k and 22k 8 bit AIFFs or WAVs play in Rev without quicktime?
>
> Probably if they aren't compressed. But I was afraid that cutting the
> bit rate would compromise the sound quality.

11k is pretty low; anything under that is usually reserved for voice-only
situations since voice audio is usually more forgiving than music. 11k is
workable for short sound effects, but 22k is better and pretty common for
music.  If, as you say, you don't have any filesize restrictions, you might
want to consider 44k which is closer to CD quality.  This means larger files
of course, so you should probably test to make sure Rev doesn't bog down
playing back your audio (if you're loading external audio, there might be a
small delay when loading a large file for playback).

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design