Sound formats

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Sep 24 17:45:29 EDT 2005

Scott Rossi wrote:
> Recently, Dan Shafer  wrote:
>

>>WAV and AIFF files are HUGE compared to MP3's.; on the order of 20x.
>>For Internet delivery, my understanding is that mp3 is really pretty
>>standard.
>

> I believe Xaiver was referring to being able to play the sounds *within*
> Rev.  In that situation, WAV is indeed a cross-platform solution that does
> not require a player technology (QT or WMP).  To play anything else, you
> either need to target media to the capability of the host platform, or rely
> on QuickTime.

Thanks to all for the comments. I probably wasn't specific enough, but
Scott got the gist of it. These are existing sound files that have been
embedded in "snd " format as resources in HyperCard stacks. They are
very large and consequently I have many stacks to convert. They should
be able to be played in Windows from within a Rev stack without relying
on QuickTime. I will not embed them in a stack, I will reference them
from disk. I was going to use the "play" command rather than using a
player object, unless someone can think of a particular reason to use a
player when I don't want to use QT.

I have used Amadeus quite a bit lately for other things, and Dan's
comments about it are right-on, it is a great program. For this project
though, I will be using SoundApp because it is able to extract the HC
resources and save them as files on disk.

I tried the various formats that SoundApp can convert to, and AIFF with
PCM format seems to play correctly from Revolution. The sounds remain
very large (exactly the same size as the sound resources were orginally)
but I've read here before that without QuickTime, no compression is
possible using Rev playback. Or is that not true? Are WAV files any smaller?

These sounds will never be delivered over the internet, so that isn't an
issue.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com