Sound formats

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Sat Sep 24 16:45:50 EDT 2005

Alex Tweedly wrote:

> Dan Shafer wrote:
>

>> Microsoft claims ( http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ windowsmedia/
>> knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0071.aspx#417) that Windows  Media
>> Player (Version 9 and later) supports the .mp3 format as well,
>> but my audio consultant tells me that's just a lie as far as he
>> can  tell.
>>

> It plays MP3's just fine on my system (WMP 9.0, WinXP Home)
> (actually - on all 6 Windows boxes I currently own - but I don't
> know the version numbers of them apart from the one I'm typing on).

I'm pretty sure mp3s have been supported since WMP 6.4. I've always
used that as a spec for clients, and have been using mp3s with Rev on
Windows (with or without QT installed) for a couple of years without
problems.

Dan Shafer wrote:

> BTW and FWIW, I don't know what you use for sound editing, but
> there's a great little shareware program from Hairersoft.com called
> Amadeus II that is mind-bogglingly powerful and really easy to use.

I use this too. As a rare user of audio tools, I also find this easy-
to-use. I'd put it in the Graphic Converter class of shareware.

Cheers
Dave