How to debug a standalone?

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Mon Sep 5 19:31:31 EDT 2005

Mark,

I typically create a standalone 'launcher' which I use to test problems
in standalones. This way I can easily add a:

answer "Variable: tVAR=" && tVAR

or other such debugging code to my scripts, save the stack and launch
the launcher, which then opens the stack and runs it. This way I don't
have to go through the process of creating a standalone for debugging
purposes.

Here's the code for the launcher (from a previous post of mine earlier
this year)

I have a standalone 'shell' which I use. It consists of a small stack
with a single button named "Launch It" with the script:

on mouseUp
    if there is a file "config.txt" then
      put URL ("file:config.txt") into tStackPathToOpen
    else
      answer file "Choose a Stack to Open"
      if it is empty then exit to top
      put it into tStackPathToOpen
      put tStackPathToOpen into URL ("file:config.txt")
    end if
    go stack tStackPathToOpen
end mouseUp

Then there's this in the stack's *CARD* script:

on closeStack
    if the environment is not "development" then
      quit
    else
      close this stack
    end if
end closeStack

I make this into a standalone, and I can use it to 'test' outside the IDE.

best,

Chipp