Revdocs on a wiki

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Sat Oct 29 13:11:59 EDT 2005

I am not interested in supporting a mish-mash unstructured free-for-
all of information.  That is not the point at all.  I like much of
the structure of the current embedded Rev documentation.  The
dictionary is immeasurably useful.  It is even more useful when
integrated into the script editor as done in Constellation.  Web
notes could have been useful --if it actually worked.

However, if RunRev were to just make a wiki available and say have at
it, I would fear eminent failure.

What I envision, is a well structured database of information that is
not only useful to newbie and professional, but allows for upgrading
the information without waiting for an annual formal release cycle.
We can call it a wiki, but I think it has to be better than the
average wiki.  Not only does it need to better than a typical wiki,
it also needs to do things that a book can not do.

Some of the things I would like to see:

1.  A single consensus wish list from user the community for RunRev
to see --call it a rough draft spec
2.  A single consensus wish list from user the community for RunRev
to see --call it a rough draft spec
3.  A single consensus wish list from user the community for RunRev
to see --call it a rough draft spec

4.  Article change/delete by voting members --three strikes and you
are out --or in
5.  Discussion about potential changes occur on the use-rev list as
it does now
6.  Articles included or pointers to articles with attributions and
pointers to "about the author" --like in the tutorial stacks
7.  Rev front end to integrate the site into tools (not browser
dependent unless a pointer takes you to another web site)
8.  Starting page of link lists of your interest:
     a.  Learning Transcript --takes you to the next index page of
topics (linear links take you from topic to topic inside an article,
branches to download tutorials from other sites)
     b.  Language Dictionary --takes you to category index page
(search always available)
     c.  How Do I --takes you to a category index where you drill
down to ever more concise areas, then finally to a list of example/
discussions
     d.  Tools available to developers
     e.  Scripting styles
     f.  Other resources
     g...

As you can see, I look at this as a way of organizing the existing
information and resources in one place.  I see it as fulfilling
several major needs:
1.  That wonderful TOC and Index to the great information available
(along with the hyperlinks that only an electronic book can have)
2.  A place to deposit many of the jewels of information that come
from the use-rev list where they can be easily found by the inquiring
mind
3.  Visibility for rev developers and web sites that is linked
directly to the needs of the user --by virtue of were they are looking

Having the backing of RunRev for this project significantly increases
the odds of success (from 40% to 80%), even if they provided nothing
more than acknowledging it on their home page as the place to go to
learn.

Dennis