Revdocs on a wiki

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Fri Oct 28 13:57:50 EDT 2005

hi everyone,

bad news... posted in a good mood ;) I disagree with most of this tiki thing
for rev docs. But not entirely, since revDocs are not net 'capable' or
showing any evolution. But please don't chase away the current help system
for something uncertain...

For one, the rev dox are complete (but still missing the @ entry - bugzed).
It has naggies, sometimes it gets hidden at loc=32000-32000 (not bugzed),
it's not the smartest ebook (not bugzed) since it's now "net aware at all"
(bugzed) but it's WELL made (not bugzed or praised enough!!!) They have
hypertext, cool icons, context features, filters!, it's readable, it's much
better than 2.x<2.6.1, and it's fast!!!

Compared to a browser, it's also low cost in your desktop! And it's fast,
and it never looses its cookies like bugzilla on win32 and firefox??! And
the wiki's which I've discovered in the past months, despite making cookies
stale requiring you to remember yet another password still don't match up to
the quality of rev's ebook.

There's someone behind web based CMS which has to continuously update and
watch and backup the dbs... This experience with wiki and phpNuke resumes
to: they are CLUNKY! Yes... They work, they are available (so is a link to
the latest updates in the docs) or via revonline if rev ever went that
way... It could be revolutionary support!

The process of using a browser requires more manipulations (which can be
maddening when firefox's stupidity in dealing with copy-paste or Rev's
limited ways of pasting them later - add lotus notes to create hell in your
daily IT tasks workflow which is what it's supposed to make easy in a
clunkier way than a web interface anywhere ;)). Web sites are also open to
taggin or slimin, while Rev's Docs are only used by caring pro's. It's not
because it's windows, it's because its web made with poor tools. And forms
are a pain when boxes are too small, when you need to translate text again
~[whatever]~~ --- etc... All it takes in rev is the "standard" quickest text
editing we all use...

Not that tikis or cms web sites made to support the xtalk or transcript more
available are bad... They are easily extended with new modules or fitter sql
tables to handle more stuff in a php-like language with sql tabs in between
- and that's infinite - (so is rev ;)! We all love that which is why we use
rev right? Maye a web client could relieve that problem but I still don't
see it coming for long... It requires much more maintenance for a poor coder
(not a poor scripter.mt - where's that transcript wiki engine?)...

Not that it's hard to make a good wiki like wikipedia did. Still with the
tikiwiki.org engine I got, im not overly happy, PHPNuke was lots friendlier
though not "category" or user groups aware - tiki overdoes or underdoes
these still but it's a younger CMS... This all takes LOTs of time in a
language which has one of the best user-friendly language references on line
with user examples. Check it out at www.php.org, no, http://www.php.net -
start to get confusing real fast though.

http://www.php.net/docs.php here...

here's an example which helped me a lot in phpnuke...

http://www.php.net/manual/en/security.magicquotes.php

see the comments below that page, that's what web notes could be! need I
suggest more? Output to a web page I overly simply based on their xml pages
if they ever thought about it, the rest is workflow!

So anyway, there's the song of a different, lived view of CMS, development
of e-documentation bases... I didn't mention taoo but Im sure you read it
all over - This could be a prime usage example of TAOO - time permitting
until it's ready, I'll keep it to the taoo team.

just my 2-bit cents

cheers
Xavier
http://monsieurx.com/taoo