working method?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Oct 27 06:46:47 EDT 2005

Charles Hartman wrote:

> I know this is going to sound like a *really* dumb question, if only
> because it's so vague. But I'm wondering how people adjust their
> workflow to the way Transcript's code is dispersed among many
> separate scripts.

It's a great question.

> I keep getting lost. I keep forgetting where my code is that does
> such-and-such. (Which script was that in?) So I keep losing track of
> what I was about to do next, and my concentration falls apart. It's
> making Rev *much* slower for me to program in than supposedly more
> complicated languages like Python and C++.
>
> Anybody think this makes any sense? Any hints how to think about it
> differently?

I think it makes a lot of sense. After 0 years of HC and 15 months or
less of Rev, I've tried some of the things others have suggested, and
still not found a combination of them that works well for me. I now have
a few more to try ...

I think the only thing I've tried (and liked) that hasn't been mentioned
was extending the naming convention (Hungarian-lite) to cover handlers
   c       prefix for card script handler
   s       prefix for stack script handlers
   lXyz  prefix for library scripts, in "library" Xyz.
Note in this instance "library" could include any (other) stack included
by  "start using"

I have to admit that I like the result of using these naming conventions
- but don't do it naturally when writing code, so I often have to go
back and revise code to bring it back "into line".

But one mechanical aid is that in Constellation, while editing a script,
right-clicking on a handler name in the script does a pretty good job of
tracking that handler down wherever it is. This was one of the features
that caught my eye in the Constellation description I read, and has
indeed proven to be one of the many things I like about using
Constellation.

I've sometimes found myself typing a handler name into a random script,
right-clicking on it, then removing the name from that random script
!!   I'm going to suggest to Jerry that he allow something like
right-clicking in the "find" text box to improve the flow of this ....