Programming tools philosophy.

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Wed Oct 26 20:57:24 EDT 2005

On Oct 26, 2005, at 10:39 PM, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> Slashdot tonight (or today,depending on your point of view) has a
> link to a, IMHO, fascinating article about Visual Studio. Now I've
> never used VS, and never will, but what the author says here about
> programming style and programming tools is much more widely
> applicable.
>
> http://charlespetzold.com/etc/DoesVisualStudioRotTheMind.html

I used some MS tools in the past (well, at least what I can call
past, some years ago), I was never a happy coder... everything felt
so hacked up, gee, I quickly moved to Delphi (which felt less like a
hack).

Before Revolution the only three environments I was trully happy were
Scheme48, REBOL and Turbo Pascal 3. I learned to code in Turbo Pascal
3 and those yellow chars still make me smile. I guess that before
Rev, I was never happy with GUI programming environments...

One of the things I like best of Rev is that it works like I want it
to work, if what I want is not a standard feature, I can always build
my own tool and use it as plugin...

Cheers
andre