Setting custom properties

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Tue Oct 25 18:57:47 EDT 2005

>Message: 12
>Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 06:26:47 -0700
>From: Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
>Subject: Re: Setting custom properties
>To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
>Jim Hurley wrote:
>>  I would like to be able to set a custom property to an evaluated string.
>  > In the following lines of script:
>>
>>  put "apples" & cr & "oranges" into tList
>>  put "myGroceryList" & 3 into tName
>>  set the tName of this card to tList
>>
>>  It appears that Run Rev will assign tList to the custom property
>>  myGroceryList3. But how does it know that the name of the custom
>>  property is myGroceryList3 and not tName? Does it check to see whether
>>  tName has a value in the script?
>
>You've implicitely declared it by using it as a variable in the line
>before.  If a token is in the local variable table it'll be used as such.
>
>--
>   Richard Gaskin
>   Managing Editor, revJournal
>   __

Richard,

Thanks. It is hard to image a more fundamental principle.

I see now that I have been using this fact all along without
realizing it. For example in such cases as:

put "myFIeld" & i into tFieldName
put field tFieldName into myVariable

Ah, the dangers of learning only as much about a language as
necessary to complete the task at hand.

Jim