Text Adventure in Rev?

Philip Richmond catventure at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 24 08:53:11 EDT 2005

Hello,

I'm new here and just downloaded the trial of
Revolution + some tutorials from the main site.
I've done some coding in LibertyBasic and IBasic and
prior to that with AmigaBasic and AMOSBasic. I'm very
impressed with what I've seen in the package already
and it got me thinking... Wonder if it's possible to
do a text adventure creator project using Rev. A bit
like those old Infocom, Level 9, Zork type interactive
fiction games...
Maybe add sfx and gfx too. I did write such an app in
a very early version of LibertyBASIC.
The player would input a command into a one line text
field and then after processing/parsing the game text
would be output to a multiline textbox with a scroll.
I kind of envision it working pretty much the same in
Rev.
I've worked out how to put text after existing text in
such an object but what I need to know is how do I
check that the text to be output/shown does not exceed
the maxnum of lines in the viewable area of the text
control? For instance if 20 lines are viewable and 36
lines of text are set to be put there how can I
display the max of 20 lines, print a message like
"Press Any Key To Continue" and after the player makes
a keypress then show the remaining 16 lines of text
before asking for another player input?? Anyone ever
tried this or got any ideas on how to fathom it? Is it
going to be difficult or can it be done fairly easily?
I would welcome any advice or pointers to a solution.

Thanks,
Phil.