How trim?

Bob Warren robertum at brturbo.com
Sun Oct 23 19:11:37 EDT 2005

On 23 Oct 2005, Dave Cragg (<dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk>) wrote:

 >Is there a requirement for the solutions to be one liners?

--------------
No, but it would be nice. Originally, I looked in the Help for
equivalents to the simple Basic functions e.g. LTrim$(MyString$),
RTrim$(MyString$), and Trim$(MyString$) and was surprised not to be able
to find them.

In VB, I use these functions all the time, so I am a bit mystified at
the apparent lack of desperate need for simple-syntax built-in functions
on the part of experienced RR programmers. I certainly need this very
much in the RR stack I am writing at the moment.

Who knows, we might see statements like the following in future versions
of RR:

put the LTrim(32,202,160) of myVar1 into myVar2
put the Trim(32) of myVar1 into field "Label1"

In the scheme above, ANY characters could be trimmed, not just the
whitespace.

Of course, such build-in functions would take into consideration the
interesting points (related to speeed, accuracy, etc.) that you have all
so enthusiastically raised.

Bob