Constellation

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Fri Oct 21 15:09:20 EDT 2005

On Oct 21, 2005, at 2:28 PM, Jim Ault wrote:

> Another factor in the 'value' vs 'benefit' to open source and
> commercial
> software is that the utilizer (user) has to study any of the
> material and
> forge a solution by combining it with something else.  This is also
> a cost,
> often an insidious, slowly-revealing hidden cost.

Are you saying this is a difference between open-source and
commercial software? That sure isn't my experience. (Rev provides an
excellent example of non-open-source software that, for me at least,
seems to require a lot of cobbling-together to make something finally
usable.) Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point.

Charles Hartman