Revolution back to HyperCard

sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Wed Oct 19 19:39:06 EDT 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

>Timothy Miller wrote:

>> Well... I might not have been clear. Searching scripts in Rev is fine.
>> Better than fine. Searching field text with Rev's "find" stack is the
>> problem in Rev.
>>

>> It is offputting, I must say, that the Find stack is so very slow, at
>> least when it comes to field text. It gets much, much worse with larger
>> stacks, containing many fields per card, and many cards. In those
>> stacks, Rev's simple find command still works great.

>Sounds like a job for another cool plugin.  Anyone got a Find plugin handy?

>  Richard Gaskin
 > Fourth World Media Corporation

My rather old "Topsearch" stack attempted to achieve a really fast search for
text fields in a stack.

Search is "lightning-fast" amd you do not get simply addresses, but all lines
containing the (colored) searchstrings along with the addresses that can lead
you immediately to the card containing the text field

Similar procedures are used in my tools "SearchDocs" for searching the Rev
documentation (including "Topics" etc.)  and my four-year old "revbrowser",
which contains the option to really fast-search all the scripts in a stack.

The address is: <http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>. Go to page "Tools and Samples
for Development".

There are other efficient tools around in the Metacard and Rev community (among
them Richard Gaskin's and Klaus Major's), but it does not hurt to look around.

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke

<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>
Wilhelm Sanke, Prof.