Revolution back to HyperCard

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Oct 19 13:02:19 EDT 2005

Timothy Miller wrote:

> I appreciate your concern and your many good efforts on behalf of the
> product we all love.

Thanks, Tim.
I gotta say, every time I see a post from Tim Miller in my In Box I
always look forward to reading it.  No matter what the topic, even when
discussing bugs and annoyances, you manage to convey and infectious
upbeat tone.  Thanks for being you.

> Richard wrote:
>
>> With SS, what does the result give you?  Does it produce a list of
>> found objects, or take you to them sequentially?
>
> It gives them to you sequentially, and it opens the script window on the
> first hit. After that, you use the "find next" button in the
> search-and-replace script window to get subsequent hits. It finds the
> desired strings pretty quick, though Rev finds them faster.

Maybe I didn't understand the original post, but if HC's SS is
effectively only finding one instance at a time while Rev's is searching
for all, doesn't it stand to reason that Rev's will always be slower?

> Well... I might not have been clear. Searching scripts in Rev is fine.
> Better than fine. Searching field text with Rev's "find" stack is the
> problem in Rev.
>
> The absence of Atkinson's patented "hint bits" might be part of the
> problem with finding field text in Rev, but it's probably not the main
> problem.

Agreed.  Atkinson's good, but Raney's good too. :)  I would expect any
different attributable to the "hint bits" alone to be relatively minor
in terms of overall throughput, esp. given that a Rev stack is entirely
in RAM while HC stacks (larger than 30 or so cards) are paged from disk.

> A simple script that finds field text using the "find" command works
> fast enough in Rev. It's just Rev's native "find" stack that is way too
> slow.
>
> e.g. the following script takes less than 1 second. Okay, it's a clunky
> script, but it works. Homie don't script elegant-like.

[removing the buttoned-to-the-collar Pendleton and replacing it with
bling bling over a hooded sweatshirt:] Word, G.  If it flies it's fly.

> on mouseup
>   go first
>   put 1 into countVar1
>   put 1 into countVar2
>   repeat until CountVar2 < countVar1 or the shiftkey is down
>     put the number of this card into countVar1
>     find string "software"
>     put the foundchunk & return after theVar
>     put the number of this card into countVar2
>   end repeat
>   go first
>     put theVar after cd field "temp"
> end mouseup
>
> This script takes a second or two, in Rev in the stack I used to test it.
>
> The same task in Rev's "find" stack takes 15 to 20 seconds, searching
> the same stack.

Ouch.  Hmmm....some day I'd like to go through the Rev Find stack and
see whaddup.

> It is offputting, I must say, that the Find stack is so very slow, at
> least when it comes to field text. It gets much, much worse with larger
> stacks, containing many fields per card, and many cards. In those
> stacks, Rev's simple find command still works great.

Sounds like a job for another cool plugin.  Anyone got a Find plugin handy?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation