POP with REV ?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Oct 17 19:40:00 EDT 2005

Setec Multimedia wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to find a way to check incoming mails with revolution (a
> simple mail notifyier program in fact).
>
> Unfortunably the Shao Sean pop3 library doesn't seem to handle the pop
> (and not pop3) protocol.

True - but POP3's been out for 17 years now. I didn't think *anyone*
still used earlier versions.

(btw - POP2 has been out for over 20 years, the original POP was short
lived, came out in '84 and has been officially obsolete since Feb '85)

> Is there any other library available ? Or any way to do it from scratch ?
> POP and SMTP protocols should realy be supported and implemented by
> Runrev.

Many people say (loosely) that they use the POP protocol when they
really mean POP3. As far as I can tell, none of the major mail readers
around today support anything earlier than POP3.

Are you *really* sure it's not POP3 that you actually need ?

For POP3 / SMTP you have a choice of Shao Sean's library or Sarah
Reichelt's (available from http://www.troz.net/Rev/index.html ).

I understand why you'd initially hope for direct support within Rev -
but given the availability of two excellent Open Source, well supported
alternatives, I don't think it's anything to be concerned about; if
anything, I prefer having the Open Source versions, since it let me
build in a couple of personal variations to the library when I used it.