FORTH

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sun Oct 16 22:49:17 EDT 2005

Dennis-

Sunday, October 16, 2005, 6:27:04 PM, you wrote:

> One of the great things about Forth was the overhead of just a few
> machine language instructions to execute a high level function call.

Yep - it's hard to beat an indirect stack pop for speed.

> Transcript seems to require a trip around the world to jump next
> door.  For GUI speed stuff, it would not be a problem, but for my
> array crunching stuff, I am stuck writing everything in one handler
> to keep the speed up.  The convenience of having an environment like
> that would be very tempting to use for whatever could stand the
> overhead --and that might be quit a lot of applications.

Well, the Forth kernel doesn't take up much space - there are a few
implementations in C available - it might be fun to throw one of the
embedded forths into an external library, but I expect you could count
the interested target group on one finger.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net