Hello science in TAOO [long]

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Oct 16 03:10:16 EDT 2005

MisterX wrote:

>>I get frustrated after about 10 minutes and
>>throw whatever it is in the trash and think that I will wait
>>until you have it fixed and then look at it.  Only problem is
>>that the story never seems to change.
>
> That's because "VERY VERY FEW" people will reply with the issues encountered
> so that I can fix them on the spot! I try to test a maximum.

All software always has bugs.

That said, most useful software has so few bugs that the utility of the
work is self-evident long before the first bug is encountered.

So while it may not be cost-effective to attempt to deliver one of the
world's few (only?) bug-free wares, at a minimum the developer must
catch and address enough bugs themselves that the user will be
sufficiently hooked by the work before they encounter the first annoyance.

If the user encounters annoyances before the utility of the work is
self-evident, one can harldy blame them for simply moving on with their
busy day.

If as the creator of the toolkit you feel folks are missing out by not
using your tool, bugs and all, consider this:

To the degree that your tool truly helps developers be more productive,
you'll still be able to deploy an ever greater number of high-quality
commercial applications with it, and with less competition as fewer
people use it.

Ship successful software, and users of the library that made that
possible will follow.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal