FTP very SlooooW!

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Oct 16 00:24:50 EDT 2005

Please add this to the "Super Bloopers" list for future reference.
I've been emailing Dave on the side about my molasses FTP handlers...
today I found the problem.

I was not clearing my "ftp log" field on start up.  This means that
field contained the transcripts, appended, day after day,  for all
FTP sessions for our daily web page upload since October 2004! minus
weekends that's about 250 session logs, one after the other, in that
field.

It's a hidden field... today, as usual the upload was excruciatingly
slow... I decided to check the FTP log field only  to discover that
it must have held a megabyte of data or more!  While the upload was
in progress, from the msg box I issued

put empty into fld "ftp log"

The field cleared and immediately the upload speed jumped to almost
the same speeds I get with Interarchy using SFTP...

While this solves the slow down problem, it also says something Rev's
speed issues, when large amounts of data are be handled in fields. I
suspect, were I to try it, that appending that data to a disk on file
probably would not affect operations...