2.6.1 release notes?

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Thu Oct 13 15:05:45 EDT 2005

On Oct 13, 2005, at 6:05 AM, Sivakatirswami wrote:

> Right, of course I saw that... but...  is this all there is to it?
> setting a window shape to an image with transparency... some how
> with all the "hype" over this new feature I keep expecting to find
> more in the realm of "Deep masks: create animated translucent
> windows and effects..."  so, where is elucidation of "animated" and
> "effects" .... that sample is just a static window shape....

Sivakatirswami,

if you could just see what marvels can Scott Rossi create with deep
masks you'd be amazed (or like me shouting: "why can't everyone be
Scott Rossi!!!!!"). The cool thing about transparency is that by
overlaying stacks you can create amazing effects, for example imagine
the classic boing ball that bounce inside a stack, you could do that
by moving a image inside a card, but just think about this, create a
ball using deep mask in it's own stack, get the rect of the square
stack and move the ball stack as a bouce ball... then with the click
of a button or a specific keypress you could free your boing ball
from the constraint of the stack window and make it bounce on the
window rect... its a nice effect!!! This was one of the DEMOs that I
saw at the Monterey Conference. It's nothing but eye candy and
surprise, I remember thinking: "Heck, that ball is a stack!", it's
nothing but eye candy, but a sweet candy it is!!!

Want a pratical use for deep masks (I don't know if it is usefull,
just thought of that now), create yourself your own tool tip stack,
it might look like ballons from comics, like half transparent with
text, you could use HTML inside the ballon so you could add "want to
know more?" links. You can create a function that will attach/display
this tooltip stack for any control in your stack, just by hidding or
showing the stack and moving it... (I liked this idea, might
implement it soon as I have 2.6)

Also imagine you're building a interactive help system that works
like this, the user after triggering help mode, is presented with a
magnifying (heck, how do I spell this!) glass, by hoovering the glass
over screen controls a little window blends up next to the glass with
help... this could be done with cursors and some wise stack moving,
but if you use deepmasks you can by switching masks achieve all this
effects in a more elegant way...

don't know, I am just too excited with those things...

andre