[OT] Microsoft Office's New UI Blazes Some New Trails for Us

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Tue Oct 11 00:39:04 EDT 2005

Sounds like even more 'Death by PowerPoint' ...

Of course users want to be told how things should look.

But your point is well taken re: reading the originals.

In case you might wonder why the knee-jerk reaction, I this term have ~30
upper-division university students (non-CS majors), and not a few of them:

(a) don't know what a search engine is;
(b) don't know the difference between an email addy and a URL;
(c) don't use anything other than what MS pre-loads on their computer;
(d) when given step-by-step instructions on using blogger, and told that
they need to click on the little orange arrow to post their blog, WHEN,
they don't see said little orange arrow, DON'T SCROLL DOWN TO LOOK FOR
IT!!!
(e) they were shocked when confronted with a quote from a MS executive,
something to the efeect that, with respect to Encarta and its errors, the
company considered it more important that the product be politically
palatable than accurate (!).

A report from in the trenches...

:(

Judy