Export/Import Stacks as XML

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Tue Oct 4 13:50:53 EDT 2005

Hi David,

... obviously, I don't check the revolution digest everyday ;-).

>>> Whats - the interest? Is there not something going on with
>>> standards based file formats for education or...??? or do I have
>>> crossed wires?
>>
>> David, what do you mean by "something going on with standards
>> based file formats for education"?
>>

> I wish I knew :) Like you I have been interested in XUL, and
> somewhere in the mix xml based file formats and web services. In
> the mix there is the whole discourse on "Learning Objects". I
> remember scanning what looked like a conversation along these lines
> somewhere on the list a few months back - or I may have dreamt it -
> DreamCard and all.

It's archived at:
<http://revolution.lexicall.org/wiki/tiki-index.php?
page=EducationWhatIsNeeded>

> Doubtless there are other hearty folks on this list thinking or
> dreaming along the same lines. The aim is to see Revolution as a
> Rapid development framework for open source components - it's
> figuring out how to make them open source that is the tricky bit.

Another tricky bit is how to get financial support to develop open
source :-). I applied for funding for these projects... but I was
told either "we love your ideas but we have money only for 2-3
months". This is research not applied (for the ones funding applied
projects). This is applied not research (for the ones funding
research projects). The development of reliable applications requires
time and professionalism. There doesn't seem to be yet recognition of
this in the academic world (at least not the one I live in -
Humanities).

Marielle

Marielle Lange (PhD),  Psycholinguist

Alternative emails: mlange at blueyonder.co.uk, M.Lange at ed.ac.uk