Using a card to make modifications to database

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 00:32:19 EDT 2005

--- Fred Giannetto <fgiannet at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Here is a copy of my script.  The point is for users
> to enter data into the
> card and the submit button have the data inserted
> into the database.  The
> sql works when submitted directly into the database.
>
> on mouseUp
>   put field "Name" into tName
>   put field "Team" into tTeam
>   put field "Position" into tPosition
>   put field "Rushing" into tRushing
>   put field "Receiving" into tReceiving
>   get revOpenDatabases("MYSQL", "localhost", "test",
> root, root1)
>   put it into tDatabaseID
>   answer tName, tTeam, tPosition, tRushing,
> tReceiving, tDatabaseID
>   revExecuteSQL tDatabaseID,"insert into
> test.nflstats(Name, Team, Position,
> Rushing, Receiving) values(tName, tTeam, tPosition,
> tRushing, tReceiving)"
> end mouseUp
>
> I have the tDatabaseID variable to make sure I am
> recording the Database ID
>
> Thank you for your assistance, There will be a lot
> of progress once I get
> past these elementary hurdles
> All best Always
> Fred

Hi Fred,

The database functions will not check the queries for
te presence of variable names and fill in he data.
Here's a quick alternative, which uses the built-in
substitution scheme:
--
   revExecuteSQL tDatabaseID,"insert into
 test.nflstats(Name, Team, Position,
 Rushing, Receiving) values(:1,:2,:3,:4,:5)", tName,
tTeam, tPosition,
 tRushing, tReceiving
--
See the docs for a full explanation.