Determine active OS langguage

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Oct 4 19:37:49 EDT 2005

Recently, Trevor DeVore  wrote:

> I've tested on OS X with English, French, German, Spanish and
> Italian.  I tested Win XP with English and it worked but haven't
> tested the other languages yet since I don't have Windows in anything
> but English.  If anyone wants to let me know how it works on their
> international system that would be great.  Otherwise I will just wait
> to hear back from the localization company.

If you have XP available, you can do a lot of good localized testing.  By
using the Regional and Language Options control panel, you can designate the
machine to be of any country, and use different languages in the UI (you may
need to install font/language kits for some languages such as any of the
Asian or other double byte languages).  IIRC, you use the Regional Options
and Advanced tabs to give your system a new locale and language.  Note that
you'll have to restart each time you make a change.  While not identical to
using true localized systems, this is a great way to test how your app
responds under different language conditions.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design