Random Questions?

Phil Davis davis.phil at comcast.net
Sat Oct 1 13:08:03 EDT 2005

SupermanSlyr at aol.com wrote:

>I'm trying to make a testing program that inserts random questions into a
>field when the card is open. I was not sure exactly how to go about doing this.
>This is what I tried to do. I put a field on each card with a few names on
>it,  just to see if I had the random thing down. The I made the field invisible.
>I  tried to scripted the card to:
>
>On opencard
>get random(item 1 of field "ranName")
>put it into field "Question"
>end opencard
>
>(I know I said the field has names in it. I  just wanted to see if I could
>get random text this way before I went nuts adding  long questions.)
>
>Also I'm still not 100% sure how (even if the above did work) to make  the
>question occupy more than just one line of text. I assume I'd have  to use
>"item" and maybe a chunk operation? Because I wasn't sure how  Revolution knows
>when an item begins, and when it ends. I just want to make  a simple testing
>program that doesn't always give the same questions. I  know the answer is
>probably very simple, and right under my nose again.

You're right - it's easy.

If 'random' is confusing, you can do this instead to display long questions:

  put any line of fld "ranName" into fld "question"

In Rev fields, a "line" is a string of text ending with a CR. That means
it can "soft wrap" in a field an still be used as a single line.

HTH -
Phil Davis