Need help opening a Macintosh Hypercard addess stack on a Windows PC with revolution

Cubist at aol.com Cubist at aol.com
Mon Nov 28 16:49:42 EST 2005

sez Debbie Segal <sokol at rmi.net>:
>I downloaded Revolution because i was told it would be able to open my
>Macintosh formatted hypercard address stack on  my Windows PC. I tried
>to open the stack using the File open stack command, but it did not see
>the stack in that window, so i changed the view to all files. Then it
>saw the stack, but when it tried to open it, i got a bunch of errors. I
>think I need to change the extension on the Hypercard stack file to a
>Revolution extension, but I don't know what that is. If this is not the
>answer, can anyone tell me how to get Revolution to read my Hypercard
>stack. It is saved on my PC's hard drive.
   As has been pointed out by others, Rev can *read* HC stacks just fine.
HyperTalk and Transcript (the respective languages of HC and Rev) are similar
enough that many bits of HyperTalk code will just work -- but *other* bits of
HyperTalk code won't work, and will need to be fixed by a human being. So if the
errors you're getting are "hey, this code doesn't work!"-type errors, this is
only to be expected. Hopefully, any "this code doesn't work"-type errors
contain enough clues that you can figure out *why* Rev doesn't like that particular
bit of code, and fix the problem.
   If, on the other hand, you're getting "hey, I can't even READ this
file!"-type errors, there may be something odd about the HC stack. I would suggest
that you open it up in HC, compact it three times, and *then* try opening it in
Rev. The reason for triple-compaction: I am given to understand that there are
some things HC doesn't do to a stack the first time, which it does on the
second & third times.

   Hope this helps...