Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years

Todd Higgins higginsta at mac.com
Fri Nov 25 17:13:48 EST 2005

During this turkey inspired holiday I have decided to reinvest myself
and my money in Revolution.  I updated to 2.61 of the IDE and picked
up  some Valentina licenses to boot! (Though I'm a little bummed that
it's not Valentina 2.0 - the documentation and examples are much
easier to grok)

As I was surfing the web for programming inspiration I found an
article that has helped me put my learning curve in perspective, and
I thought I would share it with the list.

http://www.norvig.com/21-days.html

With no formal programming experience and no Hypercard background its
been slow going for me. As a technologist I am very comfortable using
computers, I can make servers bend to my will for most functions, but
when it comes to creating something from nothing I am stifled.  I
feel like I cannot get off the ground floor with anything -
Applescript, PERL, bash, Revolution,  and I think the reason is
because I'm rushing it.

Real expertise takes time, even if your chosen programming
environment promises to save 90% of it : )

Thoughts?

Todd

--
Todd Higgins