About bugs (was This is what REALLY SUCKS about RunRev! - was Menubar Help)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Nov 25 01:04:47 EST 2005

On 11/24/05 5:51 PM, David Burgun wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I always do try to reproduce the problem etc. In this case though it
> really is a bug, if not in the menu handling, then else where in RunRev.
>
> There was a Group in the Place Groups Sub-Menu that was not listed in
> any stack/card in the apps browser. When selected it placed a BLOB in
> the stack window that could not be selected, however, when selected from
> the apps browser window, it could be deleted. Once this was done it worked.
>
> There was no code that could cause this type of problem, just the
> scripts generated by Auto-Script, e.g. a menuPick and empty case
> statement, and besides that, the problem was that the menu did not get
> moved into the Application menu. No code was needed for this to occur.

You know, of course, that it is perfectly legal to have a group that is
not placed on any card, right? You can have any number of groups that
behave that way. This is not a bug. As a matter of fact, imported
HyperCard stacks always have at least one or more unplaced groups that
contain various HyperCard resources. I see these all the time.

One way to accidentally create an unplaced group is to group an object
and then delete the card it is on. Deleting the card does not delete the
groups that are on it, and you now have unplaced groups.

You don't say what the "blob" was. The last "blob" I saw in one of my
stacks was an imported image that was not in a Rev-friendly format.
Re-saving the image as a regular .jpg and re-importing it fixed the "blob".

If the menu did not appear as the application menu, then there was
something wrong with the structure of the menu group. Others have
addressed this and suggested things to look for. It doesn't sound like
your "blob" was supposed to be the menu group, as you would have named
it more sensibly. So, it sounds like there were two problems: the first
was an unrelated, unplaced group, and the second was a (different) menu
group that was structurally unsound. Or at least, that's as much as I
can assemble from your description, not having seen the stack.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com