Near completion of Color Pattern Toolkit: IDE, engine, and font problems (part two)

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Fri Nov 25 13:27:27 EST 2005

Wilhelm

> Thanks for the confirmation of my findings.

>From one crazy painter to another, it's a pleasure to try your tools ;)

> The engine leak is there as before. Scanning an 100X100 area
> of the image thumb brings down my computer immediately.

it does take 4 or 5 successive runs to make it much slower here. But the
effect is doubled each time...

> I just used fields as color units because that old stack of
> mine had them.
> I do not think (did not try yet) that graphics would make a
> difference.

My logic is that displaying a field takes more resources than just a
graphic... I could be wrong but needs testing...

> As I mentioned in the first part of my report (about IDE
> problems of Nov
> 22) the present version of the toolkit uses only *one* single
> field now, but with 19.800 color chars in it, which for a
> "text" really  is not much. Thus we have about 20.000 fields less.

Text, no, but 1000 of anything controls wise will cost a lot more than 20K's
of text... This is why I went from graphics I could color to a single paint
control and the performance showed right away the benefits... Note that
painting was just as slow as creating the fields (though just an impression,
im sure the paint is much faster)...

your code is not much different than mine btw... Mine is overly complicated
to allow differnet modes of drawing and types of colorimetric function
parametrizing but your does have the fields overhead and that's where things
go really slow. In my stack, there is not issues with speed like you had.
There wasn't in the old model with graphics, and there isn't in the new with
paint.

My guess is that you are overloading something... Since the number of fields
is constant, consider what changes... I tried to isolate it but hand to do
some work and couldn't continue...

cheers
Xavier
http://monsieurx.com/taoo