Scope Problem on Standalones

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Nov 25 09:19:18 EST 2005

Some more information:

I moved the call to LoadGlobalStacks() to the openStack handler in
card 1 of StackA.rev, the same thing happens, works fine under IDE
but not when run as a standalone.

Upon further inspection, I found that after :

  function LoadGlobalStacks
  local myStackFIlePathName
   local myStackFIlePath
   local myGlobalStackFilePathName

put the filename of this stack into myStackFIlePathName
put myStackFIlePathName into myStackFIlePath
set itemDelimiter to :/"
delete item -1 of myStackFIlePath
set itemDelimiter to ","

Has been run, myStackFIlePathName is equal to myStackFIlePathName, in
other words the last item has NOT been deleted! I changed it to:

put empty into item 1 of myStackFIlePath

But this doesn't work either!

I am testing this using answer dialogs since I can't run the debugger
in the standalone and it works fine in the IDE.

This an additional problem to the filename of the stack being
inconsistent with the current stack. Why should a simple delete
statement work under the IDE but not in Standalone mode?

I am sure this has worked in the past, although I am not sure that I
have tried it as a standalone since I upgraded to the lastest version
of RunRev.

Any ideas anyone?

(there are some typeos in the code below, it's just a problem of
re-typing, not in the real script I am running)

Thanks a lot
All the Best
Dave

Hi,

I have an application that is comprised on a number of stacks.

The top level stack is built into a Standalone and it calls other
stacks (.rev files) via "start using" and "go stack" commands.

When in the IDE the folder stucture is like this:

BaseFolder/StartUp.rev <-- just contains a splash screen
BaseFolder/Runtime/Stacks/StackA.rev
BaseFolder/Runtime/Stacks/StackB.rev
BaseFolder/Runtime/Stacks/StackC.rev

StartUp.rev figures out the correct path (by using the filename of
this stack property) and does a goto StackA.rev.
StackA in turn does a go to StackB.rev. This all works fine under the IDE.

When runnig as a standalone the folder structure is like this:

MacOSX/myApp.app  <-- bundle
MacOSX/myApp.app/Contents/MacOS/MyApp (real applicaiton)
MacOSX/myApp.app/Contents/MacOS/Runtime/Stacks/StackA.rev
MacOSX/myApp.app/Contents/MacOS/Runtime/Stacks/StackB.rev
MacOSX/myApp.app/Contents/MacOS/Runtime/Stacks/StackC.rev

But when I run this StackB.rev does not get found/run.

I traced this down to some code in card 1 (the only card) of StackA.rev:

function LoadGlobalStacks
   local myStackFIlePathName
   local myStackFIlePath
   local myGlobalStackFilePathName

put the filename of this stack into myStackFIlePathName
put myStackFIlePathName into myStackFIlePath
set itemDelimiter to :/"
delete item -1 of myStackFIlePath
set itemDelimiter to ","

put myStackFIlePath & "/StackB.rev" into myGlobalStackFilePathName
if there is not a stack myGlobalStackFilePathName return false

start using myGlobalStackFilePathName

return true
end LoadGlobalStacks

on preOpenStack
    if LoadGlobalStacks() = false then
   answer error "Cannot Find Global Stacks"
   end if

set the menubar of this stack to "MainMenu"

end preOpenStack

The problem seems to be that in the LoadGlobalStacks() function the
string returned from:

put the filename of this stack into myStackFIlePathName

is "MacOSX/myApp.app" and not

"MacOSX/myApp.app/Contents/MacOS/Runtime/Stacks/StackA.rev" as expected.

I am guessing it's something to do with scope and being called from a
preOpenStack handler??? StackA.rev was enetered via a go stack
path/StackA from MacOSX/myApp.app and it looks like this context is
being used instead of the context of StackA.rev.

If so, what is the recommended way of doing this?? If not what am I
doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.

All the Best
Dave