Near completion of Color Pattern Toolkit: IDE, engine, and font problems (part two)
monsieurx at monsieurx.com
Fri Nov 25 02:02:21 CST 2005
i tried your stack. After each redraw it is 2X slower. When i tried to see
why, MC started showing really weird artifacts, menus bars gone wrong, etc
and then it crashed. (glad it was the only stack opened at the time).
The big problem is with the backdrop (recently damned by the list). This
creates all sort of hickups and artifacts and eventually the crash. Taking
a screenshot resulted also in an error...
After removing the backdrop, i could see better. There IS a memory leak
(engine 2.6.6) and further another problem with the redraw of the window
in XP thereafter. Each iteration doubles the time it takes... After that,
MC was running on mollases (despite your stack closed) and I had to quit a
third time - mc became unusable... Parts of the windows from other
programs would draw over the mctoolbar - i had this also happen in another
stack since 2.6.6 appeared.). Anyway,before i could quit or save or
anything MC crashed again...
But the leak is well in the engine. Opening mc takes 10MBs of RAM. I run
your script and each time MC eats 10MBs. Close the stack, memory is not
freed... I did click the stack memory buttons on close...
One suggestion is to use "graphics" instead of fields. MoireX did that and
i dont think there was as much overhead...
Last but not least, using classic windows window theme instead of XP style
helps a bit but not much. By far the worst things i found was the
backdrop, and the use of fields as coloring elements. I didn't try with
all tests done on a W2K3 server...
More information about the use-livecode