OT Last week's CarTalk puzzler

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Thu Nov 24 14:05:18 EST 2005

>Message: 10
>Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 10:11:15 -0800
>From: Mark Wieder <mwieder at ahsoftware.net>
>Subject: Re: OT Last week's CarTalk puzzler
>To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
>Charles-
>
>Thursday, November 24, 2005, 7:05:31 AM, you wrote:
>
>>  But it doesn't seem to be a necessary condition. The factors of 36 --
>>  by the double definition you have to use in order to make sense of
>>  the statement of the problem -- are either
>>                          1   36   2   2   3   3
>>  or
>>                          1   36   2   3
>>  -- which counted one way amount to 6 and the other, 4, neither of
>>  which is conspicuously odd. It looks to me as though old Tom is
>>  wrong. Gee, does that ever happen?
>
>???
>
>I count the factors of 36 as being:
>
>1 2 3 4 9 18 36
>
>and that seems odd to me...
>
>--
>-Mark Wieder
>  mwieder at ahsoftware.net

Well, Mark, it is odd, but so is 1,2,3,4,6,9,12,18,36.

Moral: Better to make two slips than one, particularly when the
answer is binary.

It is easy to miss factors. I make a little educational stack some
time ago to automate the process:

In the message box:

     go stack url "http://home.infostations.net/jhurley/PrimeNumbers.rev"

Jim