OT Last week's CarTalk puzzler

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Thu Nov 24 10:05:31 EST 2005

Interesting. At first it looks straightforward:

1. If a factor is by definition an integer that when multipilied by
another integer
	yields the number we're interested in as a product, then factors
have to come
	in pairs. (It takes two to multiply.)
2. "Odd number of factors" is therefore a contradiction in terms,
unless "factor" is
	shifted to mean "unique factor".
3. If a number has a pair of factors that are identical (so not
unique, so they only
	"count" once), then it's the product of that factor (which provably
can't be
	either 1 or the number itself), times that factor, which is the
definition of a
	square.

So "having an odd number of factors" is a sufficient condition for
being "a square".

But it doesn't seem to be a necessary condition. The factors of 36 --
by the double definition you have to use in order to make sense of
the statement of the problem -- are either
			1   36   2   2   3   3
or
			1   36   2   3
-- which counted one way amount to 6 and the other, 4, neither of
which is conspicuously odd. It looks to me as though old Tom is
wrong. Gee, does that ever happen?

Charles